Chandy Makeover

Thursday, September 4, 2014


This post has been on the back burner for quite some time now. Matter of fact, I completed this small project over a year ago and I'm finally posting it. Whoopsie. 

If you didn't already know, during our engagement we decided to demo and renovate just about everything in our current home. I lived in this house all throughout college with roommates. Right before Corey and I got married, we put it on the market and started searching but just could not find what we were looking for in our budget. Soooo we decided to completely gut the house and completely renovate. Now back to the project. 

My old dining room is pictured below. Notice the brass chandelier? 


Well, I really was not digging it. My uncle, who is an electrician, had a client that no longer wanted this chandelier (pictured below) so he decided to give it to us. I was ecstatic. I wanted something fancy and this fit the bill.





I was in love, but did not want to completely ditch the brass chandy either. I decided to switch lighting in my breakfast room and wanted to incorporate the brass chandelier in there. 

Below is a picture of what I was working with pre-reno in our breakfast room. 


I knew I wanted to spray paint the brass chandelier or either try out the Annie's chalk paint. I went back and forth but decided against the chalk paint. For one, I wanted instant gratification and did not want to have to wait for the Annie's chalk paint to come in since it would have to be ordered online and two spray paint is always less work. So, I checked out Lowe's and picked up some Krylon's oil rubbed bronzed spray paint. 

I took the chandelier outside, hung it in a tree and away I went to spraying. It took a couple of coats to make sure I covered everything.

I then spotted some cute burlap chandelier shades from Kirkland's for only $5 each!

Here's the after.





I loved how it turned out and loved even more the cost. Here's a rough breakdown for the DIY.

Chandelier Lampshades: 5 shades at $5.00 each          $25.00
2 cans Krylon's oil rubbed bronzed spray paint            $12.00
Grand Total:                                                               $37.00

Hope you enjoyed this DIY post. Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs