DIY Gel Nails - No UV Light Required

Monday, May 19, 2014


I am so excited about this post. I have been in search of some gel nail polish that would look like the shellac nails that you get when you go to the salon. I saw where there were some products online but if I get something on my mind, I want it right then…therefore I did not want to wait for it to come in the mail. 

I went to Walgreens and scouted their selection but all the polishes I came across required a UV light. There was a Sally Hansen's kit with a polish that included the light but once I saw the price tag that was a no. 

I searched on my phone 'gel polishes that do not require UV light' and came across a great site you can check out here.

All you need is one product from Sally's and you probably have everything else. 


1. GELOUS - can be found at Sally's for around five dollars. 

2. Nail polish of your choice. This is awesome in the fact that you don't have to buy all new "gel polish" to get the gel look. 

3. Lastly, you need a clear top coat of your choice. 

Here are the instructions directly from Reese Kistel

1. Apply one coat GELOUS onto clean, smooth, dry nails. Let it set for a few minutes. 
2. Apply another coat. Let it set for a few minutes. 
3. Apply one coat nail polish. Let it dry. 
4. Apply another coat GELOUS. Let it set for a couple minutes. 
5. Apply another coat nail polish. Let it dry. 
6. Apply one layer clear top coat. Let dry. 

I did exactly as it says and she was right! They are just like the gel nails you would get at the salon but a lot less expensive and way more convenient. I'm excited to see how long they last without chipping. I will keep y'all posted. I hope y'all enjoyed this little tutorial and would love to hear all your nail tips and tricks! I'm so glad I came across Reese's page. Please check her out! She has a lot more awesome DIY, beauty, style, fitness and many more tips and tricks. 

2 comments:

  1. Were your nails instantly dry like at the salon? That's the only reason I get them. I can walk out of the salon without smudges, do dishes etc for 2 weeks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I still allowed a couple of minutes for drying time, but they had the same hard gel nail feel which is what I was going for. I love not having to wait at the salon and not have to worry about anything! Word of advise: I tried skipping the top coat on my toes due to time and realized shortly after you must put a top coat on! Even a couple of hours later they smudge for some reason.

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs